Over the past two or three posts, we have considered the human tragedy of how the idea of separation and consequent development of an innocent question of independent action, turning into ego-consciousness or ego-mind. We saw it separate us from our inherited mind guided by our On-Purpose with spirit, guiding mind or heart. I would note here that the Chinese and Japanese languages use the same symbol for “mind” as “heart.”
In the development of the past couple of posts, authors reflected that cherishing individual independence has been taken up by ego-mind, which projects anger or fear on others, as it endeavours to “succeed” as an “individual” to the extent that Western society is rife with “Individualism.” Thus, we have developed a “dog-eat-dog” society, which has infested families, friendships and marriages.
David Banner has offered help with his Enneagram technology of personality types and The Course in Miracles (ACIM) has offered strategies to overcome egotism and the projection of anger and fear on others in order to remain unconscious of past memories of guilt. Also, ACIM offers the practice of what seems to be a technique of “forgiveness” and “self-forgiveness.” The logic behind the forgiveness approach allows the mind to identify as “The Son of God.” This would lead to the realization that we as the Sons of God are all contained in an omni-present “higher power,” which contains us all and operates as The Holy Spirit informing all our minds and Hearts, which should we be open to information, as it is always timely when it arrives.
Contrasted with “the News of the World,” and in spite of magnificent mentalities contained in many countries in “the world,” all seemingly failing the populations, regarding the environment, and natural resources for future generations. As David Banner so aptly observed, the ego seems be counterproductive. The ACIM goes so far as to say that ego-mind collects memories and uses these to build potential threats in our environment, mostly populated with family, friends and competitors. This is how it has “realistic” evidence to project negative emotions, resulting in a bunch of separate individuals, with a low level of trust and Love, along with Inspiration LOST and needing to be FOUND!
Many have read my post regarding “inspiration” which, states that we are “Spiritual Beings having a physical experience.” I wonder if people from another planet would diagnose us as insane, because we seem to be “out of touch with reality.” At this point, I am reminded of the widely used Twelve Step programs, originating by AA. I will paraphrase the first few steps:
- “We admitted we were powerless over “THE EGO” and that our lives had become unmanageable.”
- “Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity”
- “Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.”
Thinking of these, first the habit of relying on Ego, wasn’t worked! In the context of what I have said in this post, the “Power greater than ourselves” would be the Holy Spirit, which resides in our Hearts and is alert to our real needs, including being On Purpose. Number 3 suggests that we pay more attention to our Hearts guided by the Holy Spirit, urging us to Love and be loved (On Purpose). With this perspective, it is easy to see a starting point to find that Lost Inspiration.
There is a popular song of some years ago, that really puts the Ego in perspective:
- “Some (Egos) say love, it is a river
- And that it drowns the tender reed
- And some (Egos) say love, it’s like a razor
- And that it leaves your soul to bleed.
- Some (Egos) say love, it is a hunger
- An endless aching need
- I say love, it is a flower
- And you, it’s only seed.
- It’s a heart afraid of breaking
- That never learns to dance.
- It’s a dream afraid of waking
- That never takes the chance.
- It’s the one who won’t be taken
- Who cannot seem to give.
- And the soul afraid of dying
- That never learns to live.
- When the night has been too lonely
- And the road has been too long
- And you think that love is only
- For the lucky and the strong,
- Just remember in the winter,
- Far beneath the bitter snows,
- Lies the seed that with the sun’s love,
- In spring becomes the rose…